I stumbled upon it while preparing my previous article on How to add gadgets in Blogger blogspot where I played around with the various gadgets available for us in Blogger's Add a Gadget library. Here's another example why I simply love sharing my knowledge and in the process, gaining more! When I give, I receive abundantly too...it's an endless joyous circle of giving and receiving. Praise God!
For a long time, I had wanted thumbnails of my recent posts to appear at the sidebar but getting them there manually the only way I knew how, would entail too much effort and a constant update which will drain me out. Thus, you can guess how very excited I was when I stumbled upon the Recent Posts with thumbnails gadget, just waiting to be 'picked'. Of course, I installed it straightaway! I find showing recent posts with thumbnails most appealing and this is one interesting and engaging way to announce to your readers what's available inside your blog.
And, knowing that Cheah of No-frills Recipes would definitely love to have this widget installed at her blog too, I might as well share the tutorial here for my lovely friend and others who may be interested too.
How to add Recent Posts (Advanced) widget
- Log in to your Blogger account which will lead you to Dashboard. Click Layout and on the Page Elements page, click Add a Gadget link from the sidebar section.
- A window opens to display the various gadgets. In the search for gadgets box at top right, type in the keywords, recent posts. The search results will show 3 gadgets. Choose the gadget with the thumbnail, 'Recent Posts (Advanced)' and click the plus sign beside it as shown in the picture below.
- The Configure Gadget window opens for you to choose the various options available. The Recent Posts (advanced) widget features the following:
- Title (can be changed to whatever you wish)
- Blog URL (change to any Blogger blog's address whose posts you want displayed, including your own)
- Number of posts to display (limited to 25?)
- Display post thumbnails
- Display post summaries
- Summary length (necessary if opted to display summaries)
- Display post date
- Display the number of comments
- Display the Read more link
- Display a separator between the posts.
You can configure the gadget to display the features anyhow you wish. After you've configured, just click anywhere inside the window and it will update instantaneously your changes in the Preview section. If you're satisfied with the display, click Save to exit window.
An illustration is appended below to show 2 different display, following the selections I've chosen as examples.
- Back to the Page Elements page, you can now reposition the Recent Posts gadget - just click on it, hold down the click to drag it and release click to drop where you want. Click Save and View Blog. That's it! You're done!
Important Update - Sept 10 2010
The Recent Posts Gadget with Thumbnails has been recently updated! If you've installed the older version, check it out at Aneesh's post for further instructions on how to reconfigure the settings.